Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Resident Evil 6: Leons campaign Review and a correction

Resident Evil 6: Leons campaign





I finished Leons campaign with a friend yesterday afternoon. Didn't even bother to play it at night which used to be part of the fun to be had in experiencing Resident Evil. If it was any indication of what's in store for me in the other campaigns I'm glad I didn't pay anything for this game(Gamefly+gift.). If you're looking for the mature survival horror game or the puzzler that the first couple games were I would avoid this game. Just skip it, you're missing nothing. There's literally no puzzles or anything that could be described as puzzles that I can recall. You can't actually do anything wrong. Just keep hitting the forward button and much like DDR tap the action buttons when you're told to. There was a couple of times when I tried to explore and was slapped on the wrist for it. Capcom - my ingame over protective mother.

The inventory system is a bit maddening as well. You have items and ammo pouring out of your ears by the second chapter and they tossed out the inventory box in favor of this slideshow thing. You never seem to have any clue when you're low on space other than EXACTLY WHEN YOU NEED SOMETHING and you don't have space for it. You're forced to be in such a hurry that you just run through grabbing everything thanks to the skill point crap. Dear Capcom, Resident Evil is not Devil May Cry nor is it Call of Dipshits*. Please take your stupid level progression crap back. I do not enjoy trying to sort through my inventory slide-rule during a boss fight.

Another thing that struct me as odd about this incarnation of Resident Evil. It's kid friendly. When we started playing we avoided having the kids around who are 2-7 in age, but you know how kids are. They know you're doing something they aren't allowed to see or do and they sneak in to watch or play when you're not home. Maybe it's just that kids are different these days but Resident Evil gave me nightmares as a kid. Not this one. It doesn't the kids at all. It's just an action game to them. There's nothing intense or suspenseful about it like the old ones. There's not a hint of pacing it's an interactive Micheal bay movie with the typical oversexed females and guys who's personality contains nothing but one liners. GOOD GOD by the end of it I just wanted Leon to shut up!!!!

Toward the end of the game you fight a boss. It's actually kind of a rehash of older bosses and it goes on for about an hour. You fight the same guy like 6 frigging times with little in between. It's actually pretty ho-hum by the end of of it. Get ready to hear Leon say "This guy just won't give up" about 800 times. The more I think on it the less I wanna pay the other campaigns. I'm told they actually get worse from here :(.


Let's pretend I'm actually going to give this a score

FUCKING AWFUL/10


*Sorry if I seem like an asshole but this game infuriated me. Towards the end after spending 20 minutes trying to complete a rope climbing QTE I actually screamed literally screamed obscenities at this game


Correction

Small correction to my last post about RE6. Apparently when you start your game you can opt out of "attack reaction" which is your partner spazing out and acting like an idiot if god forbid you should attack a zombie anywhere within 10ft of them. After disabling this pointless option the game was slightly less agonizing to play. 












No comments:

Post a Comment