Saturday, October 20, 2012

FOG Multi-player Co:op Round Up Finale : PAYDAY: The Heist

*Sort of in a hurry here because I'd like to say my peace while OVERKILL Software is having a Free Weekend and 75% off discount on PAYDAY and it's DLC. Go check it out over at Steam


FOG Multi-player Co:op Round Up Finale : PAYDAY: The Heist




Let me be upfront and clear about something here. My review summary is "Go play PAYDAY right now and add me to Steam." because PAYDAY is great and I will play with you. Now if you're still reading this let me explain why I'm so enthusiastic about this game. Since the films release thousands of people have been asking why won't someone make a game adaptation of HEAT and finally FINAALLY the wonderful people at Overkill have done it with PAYDAY™ The Heist.



PAYDAY™ The Heist is an action filled first person shooter that lets players take on the role of a hardened career criminal executing intense, dynamic heists in constant pursuit of the next “big score”. Load out with an array of weaponry and equipment. Navigate six high-stake heists with three other live or A.I. Co-Op partners in crime.

 PD is a game in which you and 4 others, be it People or AI controlled partners, engage in multi-part heists. To run you through an example the first campaign is a bank heist. You have to enter the bank, disable the security cameras and guards, take and control hostages, enter the vault, get money and get out alive. As we know from both the film Heat and from real life this is difficult if not impossible. That was also just a summary. It's actually even more complicated and while you're doing all that while police, swat and riot teams will at random intervals attempt to lay siege to the bank, arrest the group and free civilians.

I think that's why I like this game so much. It's the most complex FPS to arrive since SWAT and Rainbow 6 which have been all but dead franchises for several years now. You can theoretically play the game with AI but it's next to impossible. It's similar to trying to play a 5v5 counter-strike scrim with all bots on your team. Good Luck..

Your team needs to work together and I mean really together. Both in fighting and in completing objectives. It's very beneficial to have someone act as a team leader. I have to play this roll frequently even as far as to guide new players and keep people on top of their health and ammo. 

It's all worth it when you complete the mission though. I've yet to capture that feeling outside of professional Cpl matches. 

The weapons are all logical stuff no gimmicks. You have three weapon slots for ingame play. A silenced pistol, a rifle and a support weapon. Pistols at the start include a Colt 1911 and a 9mm. Ammo size versus power. Starting rifles include an M4 and a .308. Ammo vs accuracy. It's been a while but I think the primary support weapon is an automatic shotgun. I currently use a silenced UZI. aww yeah.

There's four classes you can choose from for progression purposes however any unlock in a class is usable in all four classes. The classes are Assault, Sharp Shooter, Support and Technician. I won't get into the specifics, you should try these out yourself and see what suits you, but progression is achievement based. Things like kills, recoveries and tool uses gain you achievements, levels which improve things like ammo availability and health, and weapon/tools unlocks.

After purchasing the WolfPack DLC you can setup a total of 9 different heists though any player can join any heist even if they do not own the DLC.



There's a nice variety of heists including a bank robbery, heat street which is a take on the scene from the film HEAT, a prison transport break out and a hospital siege among others.

What's not to like? Honestly I don't know. Go read some of the reviews yourself. I wanted to respond to those, but really couldn't find more than one concrete complaints I could respond to. The one I'll agree with is that there just isn't enough heists. My defense is Call of Duty. $59.99 3 hour, 4 MP map game. Need ah say more? I feel very satisfied paying $29.99 for the full game and DLC though again it's onsale over at Steampowered.com for a mere $7.49 10/19-10/22 and goes on sale pretty regularly.

I'm gonna rate this game an easy 

9/10

The only thing keeping this from being a 10/10 is that I'd like to see more heists and more people playing. I've yet to reach a point where I couldn't find an online game but the pickings can be slim at times. Don't let that hold you back the game is free to play this weekend go try it out. I'll be on in a sec :) 






No comments:

Post a Comment